Sal’s Star of the Week: Cardiology Medical Team
(Introduced by Colette Seifer)
It has been another challenging week for physician coverage throughout the cardiology services. So, to break the rules again, this weeks Sals Star is ‘The Team’.
- You covered outside calls, STEMI calls, HSC consults and managed to fit in a teaching session and clinic all at the same time.
- You rearranged your schedule to cover the inpatient service at short notice, working 3 weeks in a row.
- You rearranged your schedule to cover the previously rearranged schedule to provide lab coverage.
- You covered 4 lab days in a row having just finished a week of inpatient cardiology coverage.
- You offered to work this week-end, knowing it was one of only a few free days this month.
- You offered to cover Friday (a Friday before the long week-end!).
- You offered to take care of a couple of extra patients.
- You have been covering the inpatient service 2 out of the last 3 weeks and offered to continue to cover an extra day (a holiday Monday).
- You made multiple schedule changes, sometimes hourly, making sure everyone was kept up to date. You rearranged clinic appointments, teaching sessions, meetings and other commitments.
All of this, to keep patients safe. Each one of you are The Team. Without The Team, our system would not function.
Thank-you to The Team.
Congratulations to Thang Nguyen, Sarah Gilchrist, Katarina Lee and Emily Hyde who graduated from the Executive Training (EXTRA) Program offered through Healthcare Excellence Canada.
This Week’s Faculty Publications
Evan J Wiens, Megan Deviaene, Ashish H Shah Clinical applications of high-sensitivity troponin testing: from diagnosis to prognosis Can J Cardiol. 2022 May 12;S0828-282X(22)00316-6. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2022.05.008. Online ahead of print.
Morten H Møller, Waleed Alhazzani, Kimberley Lewis, Emilie Belley-Cote, Anders Granholm, John Centofanti, William B McIntyre, Jessica Spence, Zainab Al Duhailib, Dale M Needham, Laura Evans, Annika Reintam Blaser, Margaret A Pisani, Frederick D’Aragon, Manu Shankar-Hari, Mohammed Alshahrani, Giuseppe Citerio, Rakesh C Arora, Sangeeta Mehta, Timothy D Girard, Otavio T Ranzani, Naomi Hammond, John W Devlin, Yahya Shehabi , Pratik Pandharipande, Marlies Ostermann Use of dexmedetomidine for sedation in mechanically ventilated adult ICU patients: a rapid practice guideline Intensive Care Med. 2022 May 19. doi: 10.1007/s00134-022-06660-x. Online ahead of print.
Kiran Sidhu, Anna Isotta Castrini, Victoria Parikh, Nosheen Reza, Anjali Owens, Maxime Tremblay-Gravel, Matthew T Wheeler, Luisa Mestroni, Matthew Taylor, Sharon Graw, Marta Gigli, Marco Merlo, Alessia Paldino, Gianfranco Sinagra, Daniel P Judge, Hannia Ramos, Olurotimi Mesubi, Emily Brown, Samual Turnbull, Saurabh Kumar, Darius Roy, Usha B Tedrow, Long Ngo, Kristina Haugaa, Neal K Lakdawala The response to cardiac resynchronization therapy in LMNA cardiomyopathy Eur J Heart Fail. 2022 Apr;24(4):685-693. doi: 10.1002/ejhf.2463. Epub 2022 Mar 14.